When Bigger is Better Why Go Small?
First of all having a small kitchen by no means is a disadvantage. Yes, a large kitchen is appealing and could make your friends and neighbours jealous, but it can also blow a hole in your wallet, especially if you are operating on a tight budget. In fact, many are coming to terms with the fact that a small kitchen is indeed better and are opting for cheap renovations to make their cooking space more efficient.
Now, if you are wondering why people are finding smaller kitchens to be more appealing, then here are some pointers that could help answer your question:
1) Small Kitchens are more Efficient
Kitchens in most houses are much bigger than what is actually required. If you have a small house, by opting to remodel and go for a small kitchen renovation, you could save a lot more space in your home. Usually, the purpose served by a compact kitchen is very much similar to that of a large kitchen. In fact, it also proves to be more efficient when it comes to storage space utilization. Yes, remodeling can be a hassle but with the help of professionals at Ms&Mr Kitchen’s to guide you along, the dividends you get from a kitchen renovation will always outweigh the cons.
2) Small Kitchens are Cheaper
When it comes to renovation, remodeling of a kitchen space always turns out be the most expensive affair. But, if you get the design right, a small kitchen renovation can help you in cutting down your costs significantly.
3) Small Kitchens are more ergonomic
Your basic movement in a kitchen is usually limited to the area between- the Fridge, the Sink & the Stove. While a large kitchen provides you more storage space, it will also stretch the distance between most of your appliances. Whereas, a practically designed, small kitchen space allows you to move faster and more effectively as you carry out your cooking related actions.
Ms&Mr Kitchen’s Renovation Tips
Now that we have managed to satisfy your queries regarding the advantages of a small kitchen, here are some hot kitchen renovation tips that will serve you well:
Exploit Every Inch Of Space• By definition, a small kitchen will not offer you a lot of space. Hence, it is important to be careful about the design that you chose. For example, you can opt for a model that will incorporate a large pantry in your kitchen
• You can also consider installing a smaller sink rather than the ones with a traditional long top.
• Installing tall, preferably floor to ceiling, kitchen cabinets is a good way to ensure that you have more storage space.
• Going for a slim fridge is another way to save and optimize space in your kitchen.
• Use of other smart storage hardware such as pull out pantry and corner storage solutions will help you in utilising your space more efficiently. But do bear in mind that such additions can sometimes be costly.
• Having the right colour scheme is very important, especially when your kitchen is small.
• Avoid the use of too many textures and colours, as this could make your kitchen look too busy.
The Right Splash-Backs
• Having the right splash back is very important when it comes to small kitchens. A mirror or a smoke mirror splash back can make your space look larger than it actually is.
• Choosing the right colour for tile is important, as it creates an optical illusion that makes your kitchen space look bigger.
Light it Up
• Make sure that you opt for under cabinet LEDs. These LEDs fit beautifully under your wall cabinets
• Paint your kitchen with lighter colour tones as this allows more light to be reflected.
• Using reflective surfaces on your furniture and cabinets is another way to have a brighter looking kitchen
• Always try and make the best use of natural light that comes into your kitchen, so try not to have any big installation close to your kitchen windows
If any of this sounds like it is too much or if you feel that you need an experienced contractor for your kitchen renovation project, then contact Ms&Mr Kitchen’s today! If you live in Glen Waverley or Brighton and are looking for the best and widest range of kitchen designs and hardware then look no further. Call us on 03 9543 1103 to schedule an appointment.